Using an interpreter

An interpreter can attend your appointment with you.

They can be there with you in person, or on a phone or video call.

There's no charge to use an interpreter.

You can use an interpreter:

  • in hospital
  • at primary health care centres
  • when you meet with a specialist.

How to ask for an interpreter

You can ask for an interpreter for any appointment. Your doctor may also ask for an interpreter when they refer you to the hospital.

If you need an interpreter after hours or in the emergency department, look for a poster with the interpreter and Auslan symbols on it. You can also ask a nurse or ward clerk for help.

Using an interpreter card

You can also request a Queensland Interpreter Card to use whenever you’re dealing with a government agency. The card will let staff know to request an interpreter in the language you need.

You can request a Queensland interpreter card by emailing

Last updated: April 2023