Graduate placements for registered nurses
We offer a range of opportunities, with a minimum of 12-month temporary placements for graduate registered nurses. Graduates work 64 hours per fortnight, which can be negotiated.
We encourage our graduates to apply for permanent roles and continue working for us.
We may have placements at the following hospitals and health services:
- Baralaba Multipurpose Health Service
- Biloela Hospital
- Blackwater Multipurpose Health Service
- Capricorn Coast Hospital and Health Service
- Emerald Hospital
- Eventide Home Rockhampton
- Gladstone Hospital
- Mount Morgan Multipurpose Health Service
- Moura Multipurpose Health Service
- North Rockhampton Nursing Centre
- Rockhampton Hospital
- Springsure Multipurpose Health Service
- Theodore Multipurpose Health Service
- Woorabinda Multipurpose Health Service.
Graduate program overview
We have 3 intakes this year in January, May and August. These can vary from year to year.
As part of our graduate program, we offer the following educational resources and support:
- two week orientation
- face to face clinical support from either our nurse educator or clinical facilitator
- five graduate nurse study days throughout the 12 months, and additional professional development opportunities
- a designated preceptor for ongoing support and assistance
- transition program (in specific areas)
- professional development opportunities
- self-assessment and performance reviews
- peer support
- career development pathways.
As part of your clinical practice during graduate year we offer:
- ward induction
- supernumerary days
- supported practice, if needed
- clinical facilitators
- nurse educators.
Your clinical experience may include:
- mental health
- palliative care
- rural services.
Our collegial support includes:
- nurse educators
- clinical facilitators
- workplace preceptors.
Clinical nursing higher degree
We offer a partner program with CQUniversity where graduates can gain a Graduate Certificate of Clinical Nursing.
Placements receive Commonwealth Supported Places Funding, with fee savings of more than 80% to eligible students in 2023.
The structure and content of our programs allow for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) of 2 subjects.
Hospital placements for registered midwives
Our midwifery program builds on your personal and professional skills and knowledge and helps you transition from university to the registered midwife (RM) role.
We offer a 12-month temporary placement for registered graduate midwives at:
The temporary placement is for 64 hours per fortnight.
We have one intake per year in February.
How to apply
Recruitment opens in July, ends in August, and we hold interviews in early September. Check the graduate recruitment campaign page for the exact dates.
You'll need to:
- apply through Nursing and Midwifery Graduate Program and meet the requirements
- be eligible for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA)
- update your resume to include all your clinical placements
- ask your referees to complete the referee report
- complete the graduate summary.
There's more information about the nursing and midwifery graduate recruitment process and eligibility on the Queensland Health website.
You can email us at CQHHS_NMWU@health.qld.gov.au or call 07 4920 7076 if you have any questions about our graduate programs.